I once believed that if I “thought too highly of myself” it was a sign of selfishness.
I was told I thought more highly of myself than I ought.
I once believed that stating my abilities was bragging about how good I was.
I was told I was a show off, and that I needed to stop it.
I once even believed that if I tried to show any of these talents, then people would tell me I was wrong, and that I actually had no talent at all.
Sadly, they told me this, all through my life, and I believed them.
Many times these declarations came from those who were either supposed to look after my well being, or if not them, then from someone I had dared to step out of myself to trust.
I was taught that “I” statements, should be phrased as “we” statements.
Hence, I would not be attracting too much attention to myself.
Even my journals were phrased in this way.
I may not know you, but I do know something about people, and even a little bit about what makes them tick.
May I just start by saying that when we are small, and then even as we grow, we have the ability to be either weak or strong, healthy or sick, bright or dim, positive or negative.
Of course a lot of this comes from our genetic code, but I believe much, much more of it comes from what we are told as we grow.
“Whether you think that you can, or that you can’t, you are usually right.” – Henry Ford
Here is a bit of what I already knew, I knew it because these scriptures said it was so;
Psalm 139:14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
2 Corinthians 10:5 says that – We capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ.
The Living Bible translation says that we can capture these rebels (thoughts) and change them into thoughts whose hearts’ desire is obedience to Christ.
By re-working how I think in this way, I can choose God’s thoughts for myself.
I have it on good authority (God’s word) that it is OK for me to declare what God has put in side of me.
By declaring this truth, I am actually strengthening and re-strengthening the fact for my heart to know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made, I am choosing an obedient thought instead of a lie.
When I capture all those negative thoughts placed in my mind, I literally take them, and trade them in. I don’t like those thoughts, and like returning a purchase at the store, I’ll choose some other thoughts.
I’ll choose the thoughts that God has thought about me all along.
I’ll choose the ones I was not able to hear for all the untrue ones that were loudly going off in my head!
If we choose rightly, the way we think of ourselves,
– The way God thinks of us –
We become His “Show and Tell”.
What day was more exciting than “Show and Tell”?
When we could share our most prized possession with the class!
He is excited to show us off!
He absolutely loves what He has created!
He wants the world to see!
When we reflect HIS image,
People will see and know that we belong to a loving Creator God.
Now you may or may not know much about this God of whom I speak.
Whatever the case, please allow me to give you some of God’s own words to let you know and realize the way He thinks of you, the way He sees you.
Please allow God’s words for you, seep into your heart.
Please allow them to marinate your person with His extreme love for you.
I’ve given you a dozen verses to consider.
Then you may even wish to consider your own.
(Perhaps there is a little private “Show and Tell” between you and God in your near future.)
- · Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship (poem, creation, show and tell), created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
- · Romans 8:38-39 (NIV) For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation,(nothing!) will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- · Psalm 139:13-15 (NIV) For you created my inmost being;you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. (You are not a mistake!)
- · Isaiah 49:16a See, I have written your name on my hand. (He knows your name!)
- · Jeremiah 29:11 (ESV) For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. (His plan is for you to CHOOSE hope by loving Him!)
- · Luke 4:18-19 (NIV) “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, (If you love Him, this means you!) because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom forthe prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free (That’s you too!), to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (You get to proclaim Him, you are not tied to the negative proclamations that the world believes.)
- · 1 John 3:1-2 (NIV) See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! (Tweet that!) The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.2 Dear friends, now we arechildren of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.3 All who have this hope (Yep. You again!) in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.
- · Psalm 103:17-18 (ESV) The steadfast love of the Lord is fromeverlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children’s children, to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments. (Forever for you and your children if you love Him.)
- · Psalm 28:7 (NIV) The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts Him, and He helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him. (Even if my body is weak, He can keep my spirit strong! The joy of the Lord is our strength!))
- · 2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) For God has not given us the spirit of fear; (Fear not, listed 365 times in scripture – One for each day!) but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- · Psalm 57:2 (AMP) I will cry to God Most High, Who performs onmy behalf and rewards me [Who brings to pass His purposes for me and surely completes them]!
- · John 16:33 (NIV) “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (Trouble is inevitable, but so is His overcoming it!)
This is all I have for you today.
It is enough for now.
God so wants to make these truths real to you.
Won’t you give Him a try?
Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
You must be logged in to post a comment.